This post is part of our series on the Washington State family child care licensing. For more on licensing in Washington, see the following posts:
Washington State Family Child Care Licensing: An Overview
Types of Licenses
The Licensing Process
As a licensed home-based child care provider in the Washington State, you will have to meet certain training requirements.
Provider training requirements
Basic STARS Training: a license applicant must complete the basic STARS training prior to an initial license being granted by the department. STARS training can be found by searching MERIT, Washington’s online tool for managing training and education.
- The licensee and each primary staff person must complete 10 hours of department-approved ongoing training each year. The training may include:
- Licensee’s or primary staff person’s choice; and
- Department directed training to include infant safe sleep training when the licensee is licensed to care for infants.
- The licensee must complete the ongoing training requirement each year prior to continuing a non-expiring full license.
- A primary staff person must complete the ongoing training requirement each year beginning from the date of initial employment.
- A licensee who exceeds the 10-hour ongoing training requirement in any year may carry over up to five hours of ongoing training toward meeting the next year’s requirement. This does not include the required infant safe sleep training.
- Child care aides, assistants, substitutes, and volunteers are encouraged (but not required) to participate in ongoing professional development training opportunities. All individuals who independently supervise children need to meet the initial training requirements for their position.
The licensee and each primary staff person must complete 10 hours of department-approved ongoing training each year.
Cost of training varies and can be found at MERIT, the Washington State’s online tool for managing training and education. Currently, the cost of training is around $100 – $120 based on information available on the MERIT portal.