Clear Filters

New Jersey family child care licensing: An overview

Dreaming of opening up your own in-home preschool or child care but not sure where to start? Chances are, you will need a license to operate your child care or preschool and each state has its own licensing process to become an in-home child care provider.


In New Jersey, if you are planning to serve two or more children at any one time on a regular basis, you may choose to become voluntarily registered as a home-based child care provider. The New Jersey Department of Human Services, Division of Family Development (DHS/DFD) provides support for those interested in starting child care programs in their communities.

If you live in New Jersey, we’ve put together a blog post series on everything you need to know about getting licensed:

In New Jersey, if you wish to provide in-home child care, you can get a Family Child Care (FCC) Certificate of Registration or become a Family, Friend, and Neighbor Provider (FFN) . Learn more about the Types of Licenses here.

To apply for a license, you’ll have to submit a complete application and go through training. The application will then require certain inspections and safety regulations. Read more about the in-depth Licensing Process here.

To be eligible for the license, you must be at least 18 years old, provide references, pass a background check, and more. Read more about License Eligibility.

There are certain pre-service and in-service training requirements you will have to meet whether you want to become a provider, assistant, or a substitute provider. To learn more about Training Requirements for Licensing, click here.

Lastly, your home will have to meet certain requirements for you to receive a license in New Jersey. Learn more about the Home Requirements for Licensing .


Wonderschool is a network of quality in-home early childhood programs. Our mission is to ensure that every child has access to a home away from home that helps them realize their full potential. We work with experienced educators and child care providers to help them start their own child care or preschool out of their homes, whether they live in apartments, condos, or homes that they rent or own.