Clear Filters

How To Get Your Family Child Care License In Alabama in 2022

It’s great that you’ve taken this important step in your path as an Alabama licensed family child care director. We know how hard it can be to figure out where to start a child care business in Alabama. Here is a simple guide to help you figure out how to get your first license so that you can reach your first goals.

If you need more help, you can check out our library of resources and join Wonderschool to get all the tools and people you need to start a successful program.

Minimum Requirements 

  • The provider applying for licensing is over the age of 18
  • The provider shall have received a high school diploma or GED equivalent
  • The provider must live in the residential home that they want to open their family child care facility at
  • The provider must either own or have a written permission from the landlord (if renting) that they have permission to run a daycare out the home
  • The facility must provide an outdoor area, fenced that is at least 300 sq/ft. 
  • Fulfill requisite training as part of your application process e.g. CPR/First Aid and other mandated trainings
  • The provider must successfully pass the background check and any adult living in the residence over the age of 18
  • The provider must also name one substitute over the age over 19 for the facility should they be out sick or incapacitated

Capacity Requirements

  • FAMILY DAY CARE HOMES & FAMILY NIGHTTIME HOMES – Up to 6 children under the age of 5
  • GROUP DAY CARE HOMES GROUP NIGHTTIME HOMES – Between seven children and no more than twelve under the age of 5

Step 1: Request an application from the Department of Human Resources 

Step 2: Prepare your application

  • References: 3 references who have know you at least 2 years, who are not related to you
  • List a substitute to fill in for you if you need to be out
    • Note: you will need their social security number
  • Prepare your Request for Central Registry Clearance to submit at the same time you submit your application
  • Prepare your high school diploma or GED certificate to submit with application
  • Gather any child development course work documentation, which will be needed prior to licensure 
  • Submit form DHR-CDC – 737 (Medical Report for Persons Giving Care to Children) to your doctor for completion. You will include this form along with your application. You can find a sample of this form on page 66 of the Minimum Standards/Regulations document
  • Review all of the standards and regulations outlined in the Minimum Standards/Regulations document in detail

Links & Resources

Start, run, and grow your child care business with Wonderschool

Join Wonderschool for support throughout the licensing process, setting up your environment, making critical business decisions, and running the day-to-day of your program. You don’t have to do this alone!